Fracture tooth reattachment
Anterior teeth fractures occur daily, with the main patient demand to restore esthetically the resultant defect. There is nothing more esthetic than the tooth itself. Many techniques were described to use the fractured piece to restore this defect in case of accurate fit. The objective of this article is to summarize these techniques to give the dental practitioners the opportunity to restore the fractured tooth more conservatively and in the same time more esthetically. Also it throws light on the prevalence and etiology of tooth fracture.
Frontal teeth are subjected to traumas more than other teeth in the mouth. These traumas may lead to tooth fracture with or without pulp involvement. In attempts to restore the fractured tooth in more esthetic and conservative manner, the fractured piece may be used as a restorative material. This treatment modality has gained increased popularity among dental practitioner due to the continuous development in the adhesive field. Several techniques were used. These techniques include, simple reattachment, external chamfer, over contouring, internal dentin bevel, and internal enamel bevel. All these techniques try to afford the highest fracture resistance accompanied with the least possible tooth preparation. Combination of two or more technique would result in better performance.
Bevel, bonding, reattachment, tooth fracture.
1. Yahyazadehfar M, Ivancik J, Majd H, An B, Zhang D, Arola D. On the mechanics of fatigue and fracture in teeth. Appl Mech Rev. 2014;66:0308031-03080319.
2. Okiyama, S., Ikebe, K., Nokubi, T. Association between masticatory performance and maximal occlusal force in young men. J Oral Rehab., 2003;30:278â€“282.
3. Anusavice, K. J. Phillipâ€™s Science of Dental Materials, 11th ed., Saunders, Philadelphia, 1996; 90-91.
4. Barani A, Keown AJ, Bush MB, Lee JJ, Chai H, Lawn BR. Mechanics of longitudinal cracks in tooth enamel. Acta Biomater. 2011;7:2285-92. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2011.01.038.
5. Yahyazadehfar M, Bajaj D, Arola DD. Hidden contribution of the enamel rod on the fracture resistance of the human teeth. Acta Biomater. 2013;9:4806-14. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2012.09.020.
6. Dong XD, Ruse ND. Fatigue crack propagation path across the dentinoenamel junction complex inhuman teeth. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2003; 66:103â€“9.
7. Imbeni V, Kruzic JJ, Marshall GW, Marshall SJ, Ritchie RO. The dentinâ€“enamel junction and thefracture of human teeth. Nat Mater. 2005;4:229â€“32.
8. Park S, Quinn JB, Romberg E, Arola D. On the brittleness of enamel and selected dental materials. Dent Mater. 2008; 24:1477â€“85. doi: 10.1016/j.dental.2008.03.007.
9. Imbeni V, Nalla, RK, Bosi C, Kinney JH, Ritchie RO. In vitro fracture toughness of human dentin. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12833425">J Biomed Mater Res A. 2003;66:1-9.
10. Bechtle S, Fett T, Rizzi G, Habelitz S, Klocke A, Schneider GA. Crack arrest within teeth at the dentinoenamel junction caused by elastic modulus mismatch. Biomaterials. 2010; 31:4238-47. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.01.127.
11. Lee JJ, Morris D, Constantino PJ, Lucas PW Smith TM, Lawn BR. Properties of tooth enamel in great apes. Acta Biomater. 2010;6: 4560-5. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2010.07.023.
12. Chai H, Lee JJ, Lawn BR. Fracture of tooth enamel from incipient microstructural defects. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2010; 3:116-20. doi: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2009.08.002.
13. Tin-Oo MM, Saddki N, Hassan N. Factors influencing patient satisfaction with dental appearance and treatments they desire to improve aesthetics. BMC Oral Health. 2011;11:6. doi:10.1186/1472-6831-11-6.
14. Shetty PP, Metgud S, Jain A, Dhillon G, Astekar M. A conservative single visit reattachment of fractured crown fragment. Clinics and Practice. 2012;2(3):e70. doi:10.4081/cp.2012.e70.
15. Pavone AF, Ghassemian M, Mancini M, et al. Autogenous Tooth Fragment Adhesive Reattachment for a Complicated Crown Root Fracture: Two Interdisciplinary Case Reports. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2016;2016:9352129. doi:10.1155/2016/9352129.
16. Chaturvedi R, Kumar A, Rana V, Aggarwal A, Chandra L. A Correlation of Permanent Anterior Tooth Fracture with Type of Occlusion and Craniofacial Morphology. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2013;6:80-84. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1194.
17. Marwaha M, Bansal K, Srivastava A, Maheshwari N. Surgical Retrieval of Tooth Fragment from Lower Lip and Reattachment after 6 Months of Trauma. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2015;8:145-8. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1302.
18. Singaram M, G SV, Udhayakumar RK. Prevalence, pattern, etiology, and management of maxillofacial trauma in a developing country: a retrospective study. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 42: 174-81. doi: 10.5125/jkaoms.2016.42.4.174.
19. Sargod SS, Bhat SS. A 9 year follow-up of a fractured tooth fragment reattachment. Contemp Clin Dent. 2010;1:243-5. doi: 10.4103/0976-237X.76392.
20. Ninawe N, Doifode D, Khandelwal V, Nayak PA. Fragment reattachment of fractured anterior teeth in a young patient with a 1.5-year follow-up. BMJ Case Reports. 2013;2013:bcr2013009399. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-009399.
21. Vishwanath B, Faizudin U, Jayadev M, Shravani S. Reattachment of Coronal Tooth Fragment: Regaining Back to Normal. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2013;2013:286186. doi:10.1155/2013/286186.
22. Gassner R, BÃ¶sch R, Tuli T, Emshoff R. Prevalence of dental trauma in 6000 patients with facial injuries: implications for prevention. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1999; 87: 27-33.
23. Castro JC, Poi WR, Manfrin TM, Zina LG. Analysis of the crown-root fracture due to dental trauma assisted by the Integrated Clinic from 1992 to 2002. Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21: 121-6.
24. Ferreira MC, Batista AM, Marques LS, Ferreira F de O, Medeiros-Filho JB, Ramos-Jorge ML. Retrospective evaluation of tooth injuries and associated factors at a hospital emergency ward. BMC Oral Health. 2015;15:137. doi:10.1186/s12903-015-0125-4.
25. Nagaveni NB, Umashankara KV. Tooth fragment embedded in the lower lip for 10 months following dentoalveolar trauma: A case report with literature review. Burns & Trauma. 2014;2:141-5. doi: 10.4103/2321-3868.135652.
26. Baum BJ. Evaluation of stimulated parotid saliva flow rate in different age groups. J Dent Res. 1981; 60: 1292-6
27. Percival RS, Challacombe SJ, Marsh PD. Flow rate of resting whole and stimulated parotid saliva in relation to age and gender. J Dent Res. 1994; 73: 1416-20.
28. Kruzic JJ, Nalla RK, Kinney JH, Ritchie RO. Crack blunting, crack bridging and resistance curve fracture mechanics in dentin: effect of hydration. Biomaterials. 2003;24:5209-21.
29. Koester KJ, Ager JW 3rd, Richie RO. The effect of aging on crack-growth resistance and toughening mechanisms in human dentin. Biomaterials. 2008;29: 1318-28. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2007.12.008.
30. Nazari A, Bajaj D, Zhang D, Romverg E, Arola D. Aging and the reduction in fracture toughness of human dentin. J Mech Bahav Biomed Mater. 2009; 2: 550-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2009.01.008.
31. Kinney JH, Nalla RK, Pople JA, Ritchie RO. Age-related transparent root dentin: mineral concentration, crystallite size, and mechanical properties. Biomaterials. 2005;16: 3363-76.
32. Shirani G, Kalantar Motamedi MH, Ashuri A, Eshkevari PS. Prevalence and patterns of combat sport related maxillofacial injuries. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2010;3:314-17. doi: 10.4103/0974-2700.70744.
33. Nascimento MM, Gordan VV, Qvist V, et al. Restoration of Non-carious Tooth Defects by Dentists in The Dental Practice-Based Research Network - DPBRN. J Am Den Assoc. 2011;142:1368-75.
34. Cortes MI, marcenes W, Sheiham A. Impact of traumatic injuries to the permanent teeth on the oral health-related quality of life in 12-14 year-old children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002; 30: 193-8.
35. Lee JY, Divaris K. Hidden consequence of dental trauma: the social and psychological effects. Pediatr dent. 2009; 31: 96-101.
36. Hill FJ, Picton JF. Fractured incisor fragment in the tongue: A case report. Pediatr Dent 1981;3:337-8.
37. McDonnell DG, McKiernan EX. Broken tooth fragments embedded in the tongue: A case report. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1986;24:464-6.
38. Agarwal A, Rehani U, Rana V, Gambhir N. Tooth fragment embedded in the upper lip after dental trauma: A case report presenting an immediate diagnostic approach and complete rehabilitation. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2013;31:52-5. doi: 10.4103/0970-4388.112415.
39. Barua P, Chaudhary S, Kaur H, Mallikarjuna R. Treatment imprudence leading to missed tooth fragment. BMJ Case Reports. 2013;2013:bcr2013009154. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-009154.